Community-building is powering everything from product innovation to commerce platforms. In this episode we dive into how to build a community and how to do it with authenticity. Plus: how did Kanye West's Yeezy brand shape the entire footwear industry in just 5 years?
- Phillip realizes that some content ages better than others.
- Retail renaissance will always be relevant.
- How does community impact the world around us?
Adidas vs Nike: Battle of the User Experience:
- Adidas cracks the Global Top 100 Brands 2018 list.
- Nike remains on the list at #29.
- According to Phillip, Nike is setting the stage for where footwear should be but is Adidas's app changing the buyer experience?
- Phillip almost buys Adidas after Nike sneaker sells out in 31 minutes.
- Adidas app seems to allow for a unique user experience, while Nike just seems like a responsive website.
- Does Adidas's unique approach to customer engagement mean they will pull ahead of Nike?
Does Brian love Kanye like Kanye loves Kanye?
- Kanye's "Yeezy" changed the footwear game forever.
- Yeezy's used to be a luxury product, but production is ramping up to over a million pairs for the upcoming sneaker.
- Kanye West's ability to be a content creator and foster community is unparalleled in the sneaker industry.
- Yeezy is the brand other brands love to copy.
- Brian is definitely a Kanye West fan.
Social Platforms and Communities:
- Reddit becomes the third most-used website behind Amazon and Youtube.
- Reddit surged ahead and surpassed Facebook.
- Facebook users seem to be all about engaging with Facebook and known social contacts.
- Reddit users create distinct communities and engage in community-based conversation.
- Commerce works in a similar structure to Reddit in terms of engagement: sharing experiences and sharing ideas.
- Magento is a great example of a "commerce-based community."
Beyond the $$: Community Building is Helping Companies Grow:
- Early adopters of the web self-organized into enthusiastic communities like dial-up BBS.
- Phillip realizes he may, in fact, be older than Brian.
- Former Payless shoe rep built XO communications by installing dial-up services in Payless stores and is successful because he focuses on community rather than company building.
- Throughout the 90's and early 2000's, companies like Microsoft and Google follow this path as well.
- Everything comes down to community building: where products are sourced, how they are made, and the ethics of the process.
Community Building Basics:
- Don't try to control the conversation or the message.
- Tell a story as a brand that fosters conversation.
- Let users engage in the conversation, and listen to feedback.
- Always be open to change and adaptation.
Examples of Community Builders: King of Pops and Bitter Southerner:
- King of Pops makes popsicles popular by setting up shop at every music festival in Atlanta in 2018.
- King of Pops create community and conversation at their popsicles stands.
- The Bitter Southerner an online opinion magazine gives a voice to opinionated southerners sick of being caricatures, with related apparel.
- Wearing Bitter Southerner apparel opens up conversations about real "southern values", and allows for community building.
- The future of branding is all about having conversations.
Retail tech is moving fast, and Future Commerce is moving faster.